Skip to main content

Aurora's 3 in 1 shawl,vest, shawlette free pattern



As I was coming up with this pattern I thought of my favorite Spinning princess who pricked her finger on spinning wheel and fell into a deep slumber. So it seemed only fitting to call this Aurora's Shawl. This Shawl is designed to be quick and GREAT for those who haven't tried lace yet!! I used Paton's lace and a size K hook.. Now if you are an expereinced crocheter you may be thinking I am out of my mind... I wasn't sure at first if it would work but I love the way it came out and I think it's great!!!

Supplies, Crochet hook size K ( plastic ones are awesome because they are lighter than the metal ones!)

! ball or Paton's lace, or simulair yarn for the shawlette or 2 balls to continue with the pattern to make a full triangle shawl.

I like my shawls to wrap around my body and I am what you would say is CURVY so feel free to reduce the size if you have a small frame this pattern is easy to reduce or enlarge because it is a multiple of 5 plus 3.

*** Example say you want it to be chain 200, then you chain 3 more and that 3 counts as your first dc... *****


SO I will give you my starting numbers but feel free to reduce :)

Chain 168 Loosely ( 165 + 3 for first dc)

Row 1 ~ Dc 4 times ( 5 total including first 3 dc) in the 4th chain from your hook, skip 4 chains, *5dc,skip 4 ch,5dc* Repeat until the last chain.
Row 2 ~ turn ( turn every row through out this pattern) slip stitch in each stitch until the first stitch of the 2nd shell ( see picture , sl 5 times) chain 3, 4dc, skip 4* 5dc, skip 4, 5dc * Repeat
After the first row each shell or 5dc group is made in between the shells of the row before. This naturally gives us 2 less shells per row.
This is it at 3 rows
Row 3 and on , repeat row 2 until you have your desired length, for my shawlette I did 14 rows which was about 1 ball, continue with your 2nd ball until you have a triangle and end with 1 shell at the bottom if you desire.  Block if desired.


Can't find Paton's lace? Try Bernat Baby Jacquards, like The talented Sue Gray did!!! Thank you Sue for doing so many of my patterns and sharing your art with us!
Want to see something cool I learned at work a few days ago?? Take a rectangle shawl or the half shawl here works too
Make it into a light and airy vest with 2 knots!!!
Here is the back view! For me this worked best when I made the shawl smaller than normal  ( for example  To make this vest version in stead of starting with 168 I started with 143 and it was still nice and loose, play around with it)  Add a flower over the knot if you want to hide it and don't plan on using it as a shawl
knlkn
Start by knotting the ends together place the knot in the back of your neck,  put your arms through so that it drapes in front and the back is low like the picture.


pt
Pull the center of the back up and tie a knot through one of the loops. 
Yes There will be a Crochet along video on this but after The Knit along is done :) The video will be added tot his post when it is released in about 1.5 to 2 weeks. Who is excited to make this??? Which version will you make?

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! I am busy make some in more colors!!

      Delete
  2. Love this pattern, thank you. The music is beautiful too but a bit loud...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary K, it's me again. Just to let you know in case you haven't noticed. This video is great but with the music a bit overpowering your voice; then at minute 5:09, the audio goes mute till the end. I would love to hear your instructions in full if you could re-post the video? If not, I will follow your other instructions. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I am still learning video editing and trying to improve with each video. I have no clue what happened there but if you go on my youtube the latest video starts right where the sound went out and it has audio with no background music. I would post the link but I am on my phone. Am CrochetChiq on youtube and just about any other social media site :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for your reply Mary K. You are doing great! It can happen to anyone. I will check your videos in youtube. I love your work, thank you kindly for sharing it so generously! I wish you many blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this pattern! Such a beautiful lacy shawl :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I not only saw this, but actually decided to look at the pattern, and completed project. I have 3 balls of yarn of this stuff, and was looking for something special to use it with, that, and it had to be worthy of using a very fine yarn. I swear i have ADD so using a yarn like this makes it hard to get motivated knowing what time I will have to take to do the project. :) I am so glad you posted this. I also have been dying to find a perfect cover up for my tank tops that I can wear in the summer. I am starting this tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started the project last night. I have a hard time sometimes understanding what a pattern means, the wordage, not the pattern itself. I have a hard time "seeing" what has been written... the videos are great.
    Enjoying doing this pattern a lot. i have one more ball of this particular yarn... do you have anymore patterns that require only one ball?

    thank you very much,

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Mary, I am trying to find this yarn in this color but I can't. Would you please give me the name of the yarn (other than Patons) and the name of the color?
    THank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much. I made this pattern in what turned out to be ginormous. I thought I was beyond curvy.It will make a great winter blanket or way to store yarn.

    However, I remade it with ch 75 and it fits my six year old perfectly. She wore it to school and received lots of compliments. We used Caron Soft. Now I share that any triangle can become a vest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn I used Patons lace which is a fine yarn and at least half the thickness of caron soft so if you chained that many it would be too big because the yarn is bigger. If you use a different yarn you just chain an number in multiples of 5 then add three :) I'm glad your daughter ended up with a cute shawl and vest!

      Delete
  10. I'm making one of these now with Red Heart boutique unforgettable yarn. It is soooo soft & I am in love w/ this pattern. It's so easy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Bangle

I wanted to crochet a sideways cross bracelet for some time now but it wasn't until I received this lovely STARDUST( by Red Heart yarn ) that I actually sat down to make it!  This project will fly by you will want to make one for everyone at church :) Stardust - any color you like I used #1303 Brown * this requires very little yarn, so make a lot!* E crochet hook Skill - Advanced Beginner (* HINT this is basically a vertical row or a shell*) First stitch*** Ch3, hdc 3rd ch from hook, ch1, 2 hdc ( all in the same space) Every other one*** *turn, slip stitch until you and in the ch1 space, ch2,1hdc,ch1,2hdc* repeat until you have the length desired, * it should stretch slightly to slide on and off your wrist.. ** suggested lengths _ Woman's s/m ~18 shells l/xl ~20 shells Mans~ 23 shells child~ 11-15 ( 11 fits most five year olds) sew the 2 ends together and weave in your tail at least 4 inches worth so it will not come undone. ***Add the cross part***

Thread Cross Bookmark

I used Aunt Lydia's Crochet thread and a size D hook. Make a magic circle Round 1 Ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2 and join. Sides and top of cross Ch3 2dc, ch2, dc3 in any ch2 sp. Turn and *sl to ch2, ch3,2dc, ch2,3dc. *Turn and repeat * repeat everything in this step 3 more times. Cut thread and weave in ends at the ends of the sides. Bottom of the cross When you get to the last side repeat the * section 2 more times for a total of 4 shells for the bottom and 2 shells for the sides not including the center. On the top of the cross attach yarn and chain 26, skip the first 5 and sl to the first chain. Then I added a tassel. If thread isn't your thing check out this great bookmark Stitch 11 made from my Cross Bangle pattern! Check out the Stitch 11 post here

Easy simple no shaping stocking ornament

Step 1 This is the star stitch but you can make these any size and any stitch just make it in this shape. The above sample has 19 star stiches on the bottom ( 2 rows plus beginning hdc row)and reduces to 10 star stiches ( 3 rows) step 2 turn so the right sides are facing each other, and sew them together like the above picture,. isdsjfklajlkdsjc step three turn right side out! attach a chain 5 if desires so you can hang it. I am making about 30 of these for my 6 year old to hand out as Christmas gifts at school with mini candy canes in them! Below is a crochet chart for a basic hdc stocking but you can use any stitch. * turn at the end of every row,  * ch1 and hdc in the first stitch of every row Row 1 ( starts from the bottom up) chain 38 Row 2 38 hdc Row3-6 repeat row 2 Row 7 starting 11 stitches over ( you can do this my sl or if you alternate colors just attach the yarn on the 11th stitch) hdc in the next 18 stitch  Row 8 until- (desires length i